Monday, April 28, 2014

Science in the Future

There is all kinds of research going on right now in science, as there always has been. However recently, like in the past five to six years, I feel there has been much more progress made in the science community. Never have we had multiple groups have multiple breakthroughs year after year. So it makes me wonder where we go from here. This post will simply be what I think the future of science will look like. 
                  Some may say that the answer is simple, we just keep improving the technology we already have. I'm not so sure though, eventually it has to stop. For example, if we get to a disease free society, which I think we will, that will take out a huge portion of jobs for many scientists. We are constantly researching cures for diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer's. If we come up with these cures there will be many more people looking for jobs in other areas. I feel like  once this happens the competition in the science community will be so high, it may force people into other areas instead of science. This is something that I don't really want to happen. I enjoy the fact that science is so diverse, I have even blogged about it many times. 
                   Now that was a lot of negative, and I do think there are some good things that will happen in the future. To start I think that science in the future is going to get a lot more complex, and it will be much harder to actually get qualified for it. This is a good thing because right now I think, while it my be a small percentage, there are a few people who I feel get by without really being super qualified for their said position. Also I think while there will be more competition, and less people will get jobs, there will be much more opportunity for higher paying positions. This makes sense since the job security won't be as standard for a science related position. 
                Now this is obviously just my look at science today, and how I think it will progress into the future. Overall, since I don't think competition is a bad thing, I would say it is going in a good direction. There will be no reason to go into the field if you are not going to be committed. Jobs will be tight and there won't be any handouts. This will lead to better scientists than we have ever had in the past. There should be new technology and improvements. Of course this may be completely wrong, it could take much longer to discover cures for these diseases, or maybe new diseases will be discovered. There is really no way to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment